Friday 20 January 2012

Happy to Happier

Apart from an obsession with geometrics, yarn, patchwork and crafts in general, I am also an avid reader of self-help books - and usually about finding my 'true self' - whatever that may be (still reading about it!). So when Emma over at Gawgus Things posted about 'The Happiness Project' by Gretchen Rubin, I knew I had to get the book. And so I did!








I need to add something straight away. I am a happy, positive person, I am - serious. OK I get grumpy at work and also I nag at home (when the house is not tidy or clean usually). So why am I so into self-help books? It is probably because I think there is more to be done, that time should be really spent purposefully (be it at work or at home). I feel that time should be spent for me and my loved ones rather than for others who do not really care about my well-being. And it is, just not enough...





So anyway the book in hand, I was off to Paris with the train journey ahead of me. The book is divided by month. So I was not sure how I was going to tackle it. Read a chapter every month, or read the whole thing (I may have different priorities than Gretchen's?). I knew though that I agreed with the January Chapter should be my first task because January is Vitality, and that should make other taxing tasks easier.




So 1.'Go to sleep earlier' - should be easy. I take my sleep really seriously (I am sure I mentioned this before) but I really want to make sure I spend time with M as well.


2. Exercise better - I may add eat better. The emotional eating has to stop as well! So I will start weight watchers again and start running regularly again. Yes I will... a whole year of it. bring-it-on.


3. Toss, restore, organise - yes, those bank statements have to find a place in the cupboard under the stairs - actually come to think about it the whole cupboard needs to be organised, as well as the garage... And we still have some bits and pieces in the house to finish (by the end of Chapter 1, I basically had a 'big item' to do list of 5 pages)..


4. Tackle a nagging task... Well the problem is prioritising only one.


5. Act more energetic - hmm, I like the theory...now did to make it happen...


So here we are the basis of my own Happiness project. I am sure loads of you have already read it or done it, would be great to hear about your experience! If you are planning to do it, let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! We can do it together! Like you, I think I am generally a happy, positive person but I really thing not only could I possibly be happier, but, more importantly, I could try to make everyone around me happier too. Bring it on, that's what I say!
    Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard about it! I have way too many self help books too and am also very positive generally. We all need a boost and a reminder every once in a while! Is it a good book then?! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that book on Gawgus Things too!!! I really want to buy it! But I wonder if I can find it here in Brazil... Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog :)

    xoxo from Brazil,
    Gabi Barbará
    http://blogbarbaridades.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning! (Actually I tried to posted a comment over the w-e, but it did not appear so I try it again...) Please keep us posted on these tasks! Yesterday I reviewed/re-organise my wardrobe with one of my best friends, so I think I'm OK on point 3, but I have to work a lot on point 2 to make my home-work-blog life more balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a secret self-help book junkie too! And you're right, hair grows, why does it seem like such a big deal to chop it all off? When you grew yours back out after cutting it, was it a long and frustrating process?

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, I love reading them. I usually reply to comments, unless you are a nonreply- blogger.